How would you like to work at an incredibly cool company where every day, you get the chance to do something that really matters?
If you like making a difference, you’ll like working with us.
At ESO, we make software that helps emergency medical services, fire departments and hospitals take better care of patients. The work we do literally helps save lives and improve community health.
And now we’re looking for the right person to join our team as a FoxPro Developer.
Working at ESO
We’re an established company that has worked hard to maintain a start-up feeling, even though we’re growing quickly. Our team is made up of super-talented people who believe that it isn’t enough to just provide a software product. We provide incredibly cool, clinically sophisticated, well-designed tools that make our customers’ jobs easier.
Our products provide practitioners and leaders in emergency medical services, fire departments and hospitals with the data to make the right decisions for their communities — and help them collaborate with other segments of the healthcare system. The result? Patients get the absolute best care possible. And our vision goes way beyond that.
You’ll be joining a tight-knit group of technologists, medical experts, data gurus, cyclists, gamers, photographers, foodies, dog lovers, aspiring guitarists and much more. The unifying force is our passion for what we do.
We embrace a culture of openness and collaboration, where people lead with ideas, not job titles.
A Little About You, If You’re Right for Us
You like challenges. If you wake up in the middle of the night with a great idea and can’t go back to sleep until you write it down, you’ll fit in with us. If you get frustrated working in inefficient, top-heavy companies and want to be somewhere you can truly make a difference, we might be a match — we are building the company we want to work for every day, and we encourage everyone to take part in continually shaping the future of ESO.
You love small teams. You’d rather be on a team with 100 “A” players than 1,000 corporate drones. Accountability is a term you are familiar with. You love working in a team, but also are capable of cranking out work independently.
You believe in our customers. You enjoy getting firsthand feedback from customers and knowing how your work impacts them directly. You know that to make a difference at ESO, you need to understand our customers. You’re the kind of person who would find it inspiring to meet customers at our national user conference, regional user groups and steering committees.
The FoxPro Developer is a key team member in the development and maintenance of our fire products. These products are used by thousands of customers every day. They help our customer do their jobs more effectively resulting in lives being saved. You will use your talents and skills to help fire departments mange important data accurately, comply with regulatory reporting requirements, use the data to identify trends that drive positive change, support inspections to prevent fires from happening, keep our firefighters safe, keep firefighting equipment ready to serve and make the communities safer. Now that is making a difference.
If you’re able to triage competing priorities, maintain grace under pressure, shift gears quickly, and be diplomatic but firm, please apply. If you’re a team player who can tap into an unwavering passion for our mission, you’ll fit in great here.
More About What You’ll Be Doing With Us
You will be responsible for supporting, maintaining and adding new functionality into our fire products.
Here’s just a snapshot of what your day-in-the-life will look like with the team:
- Participate in agile scrum ceremonies like standup meetings, backlog grooming and retrospectives
- Completing user stories using your development, debugging, designing and testing skills
- Participate as a team member with the objective of making the team and everyone on the team successful
- Work with very knowledgeable people that can help you learn and are anxious to learn from you
- Participate in a culture that believes in working and playing hard
As an ESOer, you’ll be responsible for bringing your “A” game daily. You’ll have a high energy level; a fantastic work ethic; an approachable, can-do-now attitude; and a personal style that energizes and uplifts other team members.
The Stuff You Must Have to Give Us a Résumé
- At least 2 years of experience developing in Visual FoxPro 7+
- Familiarity with Visual FoxPro’s Database Views, both Local and Remote
- SQL (Visual FoxPro Dialect), including triggers
- SQL (SQL Server Dialect), including triggers and stored procedures
- Experience with Version Control (at least one of CVS, SVN, or git)
- Strong understanding of the principles of application systems development and its associated lifecycle
- At least 2 years of experience working in an agile scrum environment
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to keep other team members up-to-date as circumstances change
- Excellent communication skills
- A whole gaggle of people who will tell us they loved working with you and would highly recommend you
- Passion, attitude and integrity — these are a must; no jokes about this one
Nice To Have
- At least 5 years’ experience developing in Visual FoxPro 9 SP2
- Familiarity with Fire or Medical Emergency Services