SRE – Database Administrator
ESO Solutions is searching for a Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) – Database Administratorwith experience managing SQL Server in a cloud-based PaaS environment.
Working at ESO
Come help shape the future of healthcare and safety. If you like solving difficult problems while making a difference, you’ll like working with us.
At ESO, we’re innovative problem solvers with a passion for moving healthcare and safety forward. We have a team of talented people who enjoy coming to work every day in an established, cutting edge company that has worked hard to maintain that start-up feel. We’re dedicated to solving healthcare’s most difficult problems through data and collaboration. If you’ve been looking for a challenge and aren’t satisfied with just showing up to work…let’s talk.
A little about us
At ESO it isn’t enough to provide a software product. We provide wicked cool, clinically sophisticated, sexy tools that make our customers’ jobs easier and provide them the data to make the right decisions for their communities and allow them to collaborate with other areas of the healthcare system to assure patients get the absolute best care possible. And we’re just getting started.
Our team is made up of technologists, medical experts, data gurus, photographers, cyclists, and aspiring guitarists. The unifying force is our passion for what we do. We believe there is always more than one way to skin that cat so we embrace a culture of openness and collaboration, where people lead with ideas not job titles.
A little about you, if you’re for us
You like challenges. If you wake up in the middle of the night with the next great idea and can’t go back to sleep until you get a chance to write it down, you’ll fit in with us. If you get frustrated working in inefficient, top-heavy companies and want to be somewhere you can truly make a difference, we might be a good fit. We are building the company we want to work for every day and we encourage everyone to take part in continually shaping the new ESO. Ideas trump job titles.
You love small teams. You’d rather be on a team with 100 “A” players than 1000 corporate drones. Accountability is a term you are familiar with. You love working in a team, but also are capable of cranking out a ton of work independently.
You believe in our customers. We use our national user conference, regional user groups and steering committees to get ESOers in front of our customers. You enjoy getting first hand feedback from customers and knowing how your work impacts them directly. You can’t make a difference at ESO if you don’t understand our customer.
As a member of the Site Reliability Engineering team, you will collaborate withdevelopment teams to ensure our production databases function reliably with excellent performance. You can expect to participate in capacity planning sessions, disaster recovery exercises and security audits to monitor access controls for our protected data assets. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The right candidate for this role is customer focused, thorough, and can work with and across multi-disciplinary teams. You will excel at performing root cause analysis, documenting your findings, and driving issues to resolution with permanent solutions (no band-aids!). As a steward of our production systems, you will regularly be asked to prescribe thoughtful solutions to administering our Azure resources so that our platform continues to scale in a clean and sustainable fashion.
- Manage SQL Server databases (hosted/PaaS) through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes which includes backups of databases and T-logs.
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Availability for 24×7 support for critical/sev1 production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
Must Have to Give us a Resume
- At least 5+ years of experience as a DBA using Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and later.
- Strong working knowledge of Azure database products and capabilities
- Strong working knowledge of database high availability techniques
- Ability to ensure all databases/T-logs are backed up in a way that meets the business’s Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
- Ability to troubleshoot SQL Server service outages or performance degradations
- Ability to configure SQL Server monitoring and profiling utilities to minimize false alarms and to ensure SLA requirements are met
- Ability to appropriately choose when to use clustering, log shipping, mirroring, Windows Azure, or other technologies
- Ability to install and configure new SQL Servers
- Ability to develop and deploy database change and maintenance scripts
- Ability to analyze performance / scalability issues and create proposals to address them including, but not limited to hardware upgrades, changes to database configuration and to the application
- Experience with versioning database deployments and integration with application deployments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to organize, plan and get work done in rapidly changing environment (different activities/teams).
- References who will tell us they loved working with you and would highly recommend you
- Passion, attitude and integrity — these are a must; no jokes about this one
- At least 2 years of experience working in an agile scrum environment
Nice to Have
- Experience using technologies like XML, JSON, .NET, C#,
- Azure administration experience
- Load/Volume/Scale/Performance/Stress Testing experience
- Experience with Windows scripting technologies (WMI, PowerShell)
- Familiarity with Fire or Medical Emergency Services